Your morning could get a little bit sweeter - try these protein-packed, greens-toting, nutrient dense blueberry protein waffles and pancakes. In less than 30 minutes you’ll feel like you woke up on the right side of the bed, even if you didn’t. Don’t feel like breaking out the waffle press? Turn them into pancakes in seconds.
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups unsweetened Silk Almond Milk
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup Vanilla Vega® Essentials
- or 1/2 cup French Vanilla Vega One™ Nutritional Shake
- 1 cup dried or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil, liquid
- 1 Tbsp sugar (omit if making pancakes)
- Optional toppings: maple syrup, blueberries, and chopped walnuts
Combine apple cider vinegar and almond milk, set aside (to make buttermilk). Make a flaxseed “egg” by combining flaxseed and water. Stir and set aside. Combine flour, baking powder and Vega Essentials or Vega One. If making waffles, add sugar now. In a separate bowl, combine banana, flaxseed egg, buttermilk mixture, and coconut oil (1 tablespoon for pancakes, 2 tablespoon for waffles). Mix wet into dry ingredients, until mostly combined, then fold in blueberries (if the batter appears too thick, add more almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time. if it’s too thin add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time).
For waffles: Preheat waffle iron. Lightly grease waffle iron with coconut oil. Cook waffles as per waffle iron directions (will vary depending on waffle iron).
For pancakes: Heat pan on med heat. Lightly grease pan with coconut oil. Once hot, drop pancake batter onto pan. Flip once batter is bubbly in the center, 3 minutes. Cook until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes.