Peach Salad with Herb Oil
Here’s a highly textured main course salad that screams summer. If desired, you can swap out the peaches for nectarines, goat cheese for feta, or pistachios for almonds. Also consider topping the salad with generous amounts of microgreens. If possible, look for canned chickpeas with no salt added.
- 2 ripe peaches, sliced into thin wedges
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby spinach or other tender greens
- 2 cups (500 mL) arugula
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 – 14 oz (396 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 oz (57 g) soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) shelled unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh basil
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) mint
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) sea salt
To make salad, in large bowl, toss together peaches, greens, bell pepper, and chickpeas. Divide salad among serving plates and top with goat cheese and pistachios.
To make dressing, place oil, vinegar, 2 Tbsp (30 mL) water, basil, mint, and salt in blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add more oil if needed to help with blending.
To serve, drizzle herb oil over salad.
Each serving contains: 383 calories; 11 g protein; 22 g total fat (5 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat); 36 g total carbohydrates (9 g sugars, 8 g fibre); 399 mg sodium
To remove pits from peaches and other stone fruits (except cherries) slice all the way around the fruit, starting at the stem end. Rotate each half simultaneously in opposite directions to separate and then pull out the pit.