Grating sweet potato is a stealth way to cook it in a flash, making it a quick addition to loaves to up the nutritional ante. Quinoa flakes are a good gluten-free (and more nutritious!) alternative to standard bread crumbs when making loaves. However, you can also use pulverized oats or even gluten-free crackers. The loaf is particularly stellar when slathered with Raspberry Chipotle Glaze (see below) after cooking.
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) grapeseed oil or camelina oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) peeled and grated sweet potato
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb (450 g) ground turkey
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 large free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa flakes
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) unsalted tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp (10 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C) and grease 9 x 5 in (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Place potato mixture in large bowl and gently mix with turkey, celery, egg, quinoa flakes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Place mixture in loaf pan and spread out into an even layer.
Bake for 50 minutes, or until instant-read thermometer inserted into centre reads 160 F (71 C). Spread on Raspberry Chipotle Glaze, if using. Let loaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing.Serves 6.
Each serving contains: 293 calories; 21 g protein; 9 g total fat (2 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat); 31 g total carbohydrates (4 g sugars, 4 g fibre); 338 mg sodiumTop it off
- A good sauce or glaze can put any loaf over the top, so to speak.Raspberry Chipotle Glaze
In small saucepan, stir together 1/2 cup (125 mL) raspberry jam, 1 minced shallot, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 tsp (5 mL) minced chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce, 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme, and juice of 1/2 lemon. Cook over medium-high heat uncovered until thickened, about 5 minutes. If the mixture thickens toomuch, stir in some additional jam. Spread over loaf immediately after cooking.