The Keys to Super Immunity
Written by Holly McSkimming, Nutrition Advisor at NFP Kanata email@example.com
Nobody wants to get sick! But the fact is that we are surrounded by germs everyday. The key to staying healthy isn’t to quarantine ourselves, but to support our INCREDIBLE immune systems to fight off infection.
Some simple, effective and inexpensive tools for supporting the immune system are: Vitamin C, Garlic, Turmeric & Ginger. While we may get some of these nutrients/ ingredients in our everyday foods/ meals, it is sometimes necessary to supplement with concentrated doses. These would be times when the body is under stress; i.e. lack of sleep, exposure to germs, travel, transition, relational stress, work stress, etc. All of these stressors dampen the immune system and it’s our duty as owners of our bodies to support the immune system so that it can do its job to keep us healthy.
Below are some simple recipes that include these key ingredients for effective remedial/ preventative tonics for whatever is bringing the immune system down.
VITAMIN C FOR BOSSES
- Fill up your water bottle/glass with water
- Add 1-3 g (1g = 1000mg = 1/4 tsp ascorbic acid powder)
- Squeeze in some lemon juice
- Shake/stir it up
- Consume over the next few hours
- Repeat 3-4 (or more) times per day
- Crush your garlic
- (1-2 cloves per serving)
Let sit (~ 10 minutes) to activate allicin
(KEY sulphur containing compound)
- Squash some avocado (this is your carrier)
- Mix your garlic & avocado together
Enjoy with some carrot/ celery/ cucumber sticks,
whole food crackers (always sugar free) or just with a spoon!
PURE GOLD LATTE
TO YOUR BLENDER ADD:
- 1-2 cm nub of turmeric
- 1-2 cm nub of ginger
- sprinkle of black pepper
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 date
- 1/4 cup nut mylk
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 scoop collagen powder
- Blend on high & do a little dance until it looks super smooth & frothy.
- Poor into your favourite mug, sit down, sip with gratitude, enjoy.