Silk's Yule Log
- 2 cups (500 ml) Silk Hazelnut Almond Coffee Whitener
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 6 oz (190 ml) brewed coffee
- 2/3 (170 ml) cup canola oil
- 6 oz (190 ml) unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 1/2 cups (300 g) flour
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) sugar
- 1 cup (110 g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (3 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- Toasted nuts, for serving
- 1/2 cup margarine (112 g), room temperature
- 1/2 cup (112 g)non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 1/2 cups (525 g) powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Silk Hazelnut Almond Coffee Whitener
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) hazelnut extract
- 1/2 cup (50 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare a 1/2 sheet pan/jelly roll pan by lining with parchment paper.
In a glass, combine Silk and apple cider vinegar. Let set for 3-5 minutes to create vegan “buttermilk.”
Once mixture is ready, combine with coffee, oil and applesauce.
In separate bowl, combine and whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until just combined and smooth.
Pour batter onto parchment-lined tray, spreading evenly.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until springy to touch and cake tester comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature before filling
Meanwhile, in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine margarine, shortening, sugar, Silk and extract, mixing until smooth.
Set aside 1/2 of frosting in a bowl (this will go inside cake).
Add cocoa powder to remaining half of frosting and mix until combined (this will go on top of cake).
Once cake has cooled, remove from sheet pan and place on a flat surface, making sure parchment is still on.
Using half of frosting (without cocoa powder) and an off-set spatula, spread frosting evenly over surface of cake.
Starting at short side of cake, using parchment to assist, roll cake into “log.” Chill in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator and trim ends of cake.
With remaining chocolate frosting, frost outside of cake, then chill for an additional 20-30 minutes.
Decorate with toasted nuts and serve.