Not all coffee is created equal. The wrong coffee will sap your energy, trigger cravings, and leave you feeling tired and irritable. Lab-tested, mold-free coffee, on the other hand, will give you clean energy without the caffeine crash.
Bulletproof Coffee Musts
- Only use grass-fed butter. Non-grass-fed butter has a different fat composition that doesn’t blend as well or taste as good as grass-fed butter. Grass-fed butter is also higher in essential nutrients that your body and brain crave.
- Don’t forget your Brain Octane Oil. Brain Octane increases energy and brain function. If that’s not enough, it helps your body create energy from fat instead of sugar, turning you into a fat-burning machine.
- You might want to go slow. If you’ve been on a low-fat or vegetarian diet for a while, increase your healthy fat consumption slowly. It might take your body a couple weeks to adjust. Don’t you dare use a low-fat butter substitute. Bleah.
- Digestive support may be necessary. Taking a betaine HCL or a digestive enzyme supplement will help your body digest the fat as you ramp up to digesting real food. This goes double for vegans or people who have been starving on low-fat or low-calorie diets.
- Put down that sugar! If you must use a sweetener, use xylitol, erythritol, or stevia.
How to make Bulletproof Coffee – Official Recipe
- 2 ½ heaping tablespoons ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans
- 1 teaspoon – 2 tablespoons Brain Octane Oil
- 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed, unsalted butter or grass-fed ghee.
- Brew 1 cup (8-12 ounces) of coffee using filtered water with 2 ½ heaping tablespoons of freshly ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans. Use a French Press for ease of use and to preserve beneficial coffee oils that paper filters keep out.
- Add Brain Octane Oil. Add 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of Brain Octane Oil (start slow with this stuff – it’s powerful!)
- Add grass-fed butter or ghee. Add 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter or grass-fed ghee. Make sure your butter is unsalted. Salty coffee is gross. Blend.
- Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it looks like a creamy latte. There will be a good amount of foam on top.
Mix up your Bulletproof Coffee with some BP-approved additions
There are certain additions to Bulletproof Coffee that will rob it of its energy-boosting powers. Things like coconut oil, honey, or maple syrup will mess with your blood sugar and cause those energy dips that have you reaching for a midday cookie. But there are some nutrient-dense additions that are Bulletproof-approved. You can check out a full list here, but here are a few favorites:
Turmeric: This popular yellow spice is known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. However, it has a pretty pungent taste that takes away from the rich flavor of Bulletproof Coffee.
Collagen: A full spectrum of amino acids derived from grass-fed beef, Upgraded Collagen is tasteless and dissolves completely in liquid. It aids healthy tissue repair, which means good things for your gut, skin, hair, and joints.
Vanilla: Vanilla adds classic flavor with a boost of antioxidants that help aid in cognitive enhancement. This isn’t your grandma’s vanilla extract. Unlike vanilla extract, VanillaMax is 100% ground Madagascar vanilla beans – all lab-tested for mold and heat-controlled to keep those antioxidants intact. That means higher performance and a richer taste.
Chocolate Powder: Make your Bulletproof Coffee into a mocha and add a ton of performance-boosting polyphenols while you’re at it! High-quality chocolate can lift your spirits and protect your skin from sun damage, among other things, so add that chocolate guilt-free.
Ceylon Cinnamon: Cinnamon can help you regulate your blood sugar and reduce insulin resistance, all while enhancing motivation, performance, and alertness. For daily consumption, choose Ceylon over an unspecified type of cinnamon (usually cassia), which likely contains a plant chemical called coumarin. In large amounts, coumarin can be toxic to the liver and kidneys, and many people have a slightly negative reaction to it.
The story behind Bulletproof Coffee
Dave Asprey, CEO and founder of Bulletproof, got the idea for Bulletproof Coffee after a trek in Tibet in 2004. At 18,000 above sea level and -10°F, his energy was plummeting – until he staggered into a guest house and a local handed him a creamy cup of yak butter tea. The butter-infused drink is a necessity for the people in Tibet, who live and work in such rugged, high altitude terrain. The drink instantly rejuvenated Dave. It was like a flip was switched on in his brain and body. The biohacker in him wondered why the tea made him feel so good, and he embarked on years of research into why it switched on the lights of focus and energy so quickly. Eventually, Dave substituted tea for mold-free coffee, and yak butter for grass-fed cow’s butter (a tad easier to find than yak butter at your local grocery store). Brain Octane Oil was the final missing piece. Together, those three ingredients gave Dave the abundant energy and effortless mental clarity he felt in that hut in Tibet.
Are you ready to join the thousands of athletes, high-powered CEOs, busy parents, and people just like you on a quest to get more energy and brainpower? You can with this easy Bulletproof Coffee recipe.
When you mix high-quality coffee beans with the right fats, you get an amazing drink that stomps on hunger and cravings, banishes brain fog, and helps you lose weight, build muscle, and increase focus and performance.
All of this clean energy without the negative effects of caffeine and sugar crashes.
This drink is Bulletproof Coffee, and we can’t wait for you to try it.
This article was sourced from bulletproof.com