Preparation time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 20 minutes
• ½ cup each (125 ml) amaranth flour, buckwheat flour and bean flour
• ¼ cup (60 ml) unsalted butter, melted in the oven
• ½ cup (125 ml) purified warm water
• 1 Tbsp (15 ml) raw honey
• 1 Tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
• 2 whole free-range eggs, beaten
• 1 cup unflavored protein isolate powder from whey or fermented soy
• 1 tsp (5 ml) guar gum
• ¼ cup (60 ml) parsley, finely chopped
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 Tbsp (15 ml) dried oregano
• 1 Tbsp (15 ml) dried basil
• ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt with trace minerals
• (Opt) Glaze 1 egg yolk mixed in 1 Tbsp (15 ml) of half and half cream
- Create a warming oven of 175° F (79° C) to melt the butter (never microwave).
- Gather all ingredients. Increase the heat of the oven to 375° F (190° C) as soon as you take out the melted butter. In the meantime,
- Start the dough. In a large bread bowl sift the gluten-free flours six times. Then mix in with a wooden spoon the protein powder and herbs: guar gum, chopped parsley, garlic, oregano, basil and kelp salt. In a smaller bowl beat two eggs and mix in melted butter, then add to the dry, but do not knead.
- Prepare to bake. With a spoon or large scoop transfer the dough to a clay cookie sheet. This prevents over-browning and lightens all baked goods with steam from the moisture of dough on porous clay.
- (Opt) Glaze the biscuits. In a small bowl beat an egg yolk with a little cream. Brush the top of each biscuit with the egg glaze. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool it. On a rack let it cool in the pan for five minutes before loosening the sides with a knife. Turn it over and out and cool a bit more before cutting with a serrated bread knife. Cut ⅜ inch slices as needed.
Makes 10 biscuits
What’s in it for me per slice with egg glaze and a teaspoon (5 ml) of salted butter?
Calories: 220 Protein: 13 g (23%) Fat: 10 g (41%) Carbohydrate: 20 g (36%) Fiber: 2 g
Vitamin A: 475 units Folic acid: 27 mcg Vitamin C: 1 mg Calcium: 77 mg Magnesium: 53 mg
Phosphorus: 147mg Iron: 2 mg Potassium: 191 mg Sodium: 183 mg