Red cabbage adds gorgeous colour and beneficial plant pigments that help fight disease. For cleansing, the less fat the better, so I like to make a fruit juice dressing rather than the traditional mayonnaise. The fermented yogourt kefir is another healthy option for the dressing.
• 2 cups (500 mL) green cabbage
• 2 cups (500 mL) red cabbage
• 1 cup (250 mL) raisins (optional)
• 1 apple, grated
• 2 carrots, grated
• 3 green onions, chopped
• ¼ cup (60 mL) natural mayonnaise, organic kefir, or apple juice
• 1 Tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
• ½ tsp (2.5 mL) good quality mustard
• 1 tsp (5 mL) honey (optional)
Mix dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or jar. In a large bowl, combine red and green cabbage, raisins, grated apple, and carrots. Pour dressing over vegetables and mix thoroughly. Garnish with green onions.
About the Author: Sally Errey, RNCP, is an author and speaker on optimum health through nutrition. She is author of Rooibos Revolution (Belissimo Books, 2005). rooibosrevolution.com
Recipe provided by "A Detox Menu", alive #269, March 2005