Serves four – 417 Calories per serving
The Classic Cobb Salad gives us rows of beautiful raw vegetables, and traditionally calls for two ounces of Blue Cheese per serving. But the salad then totals to a whopping 2029 mg. of sodium! That’s enough to set off congestive heart failure! Two ounces of blue cheese has 702 mg. of sodium in it, and we aim around 660 mg. of sodium per meal, (a quarter teaspoon salt with trace minerals.) We’ve replaced this cheese with one ounce of Mozzarella, (106-mg. sodium), and replaced pork bacon with low sodium turkey bacon.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Lemon Mustard Dressing
¼ cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. (15 ml) blended oil
Dashes of cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. (15 ml) maple syrup
2-tbsp. (30ml) Dijon mustard
Ginger Mint Dressing
6 tbsp. (90 ml) rice vinegar
2 tsp. (10 ml) freshly minced ginger
1 tbsp. (15 ml) Bragg’s All Purpose Seasoning ®
2 tsp. (10 ml) maple syrup
1 tbsp. (15 ml) fresh mint, finely chopped
2 tbsp. (30 ml) blended oil
4 two-week-old free range eggs, hard-boiled
8 strips turkey bacon
1 large head of romaine (16 cups)
4 large plum tomatoes
2 ripe avocados
1 large lemon for juice to prevent browning of avocado
8 oz. (227 g.) cooked turkey breast, cut into half-inch cubes, or 12 turkey slices rolled up
(Opt) 4 thin 1 oz. slices of Mozzarella cheese (4” x 4”) diagonally placed, or strips of roasted red pepper
A handful thin, crispy kelp or crumbled dulse flakes
- Make the dressing. In a small mixing bowl, use a whisk to stir together all the ingredients. Slowly pour in the olive oil until fully blended. Set aside.
- Boil the eggs. In a saucepan of cold purified water boil the eggs over medium heat. As soon as the water starts to boil, use a timer to count the minutes. Drain, and rinse in cold tap water, and set aside in the fridge.
- Saute the turkey bacon. In a skillet, sauté the turkey bacon with some water. Remove, and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the lettuce. Wash the leaves and discard soiled outer leaves. With your fingers, break the leaves to bite size and spin dry in a spinner. Keep cold until ready to arrange on a large platter.
- Cut tomato and avocado wedges. With a sharp knife, cut tomatoes into wedges. Halve, pit and peel avocados, and cut into quarter-inch wedges. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over them to prevent browning.
- Peel the eggs, cut into four wedges, and cut turkey bacon into one-inch squares. Now arrange into rows every ingredient including cheese slices and rolled up turkey, atop the lettuce.
- Scatter crispy kelp or dulse flakes over top of everything. It looks beautiful.
- Present the large platter to the table, laying a set of salad tongs and the jug of dressing beside it for individuals to serve themselves. Adding flatbread adjusts the macro nutrients to a 22-38-40 balance.
What's in it for me per serving with Lemon Mustard Dressing and crispy kelp?
Calories: 417 Protein: 28.3 g. (27%) Fat: 22.7 g. (49%) Carbohydrate: 25 g. (24%) Fiber: 4.7 g.
Vitamin A: 8,124 units Folic acid: 425 mcg. Vitamin C: 51 mg. Calcium: 77 mg. Magnesium: 179 mg. Phosphorus: 562 mg. Iron: 6.2 mg. Potassium: 2317 mg. Sodium: 694 mg.