While as delicious as any homespun, heritage dessert, this trinity of primary ingredients (apples, walnuts, and figs) also offers a wholly delicious nutritional punch.
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried figs, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (22 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter, melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) small organic flaked rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 5 Tbsp (75 mL) butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts
- 4 Tbsp (60 mL) crème fraîche
- 1 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
Combine apples, figs, sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, and butter in a bowl. Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow flavours to meld.Combine oats, flour, butter, cinnamon, and walnuts in a bowl.
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Butter an 8-inch (20-cm) ovenproof bowl. Spread apple filling evenly over the bottom and pack with the oat topping. Cook for approximately 45 minutes or until browned and bubbling.
Serve warm with a tablespoon of crème fraîche sprinkled with cinnamon.